Friday, March 2, 2012

Epilepsy!

As most of you know, I am a pediatric nurse.  When I first started working after college I was involved with various diagnoses.  Some of these that are close to my heart are Juvenile Diabetes and Cystic Fibrosis.  However, over the past year and a half I have had the opportunity to work primarily with neurology.  The brain is an absolute mystery and continues to show us so many diverse things.  One of the main things we see when kids come to the hospital and are on the neurology service, is seizures.  

When most people think of seizures, they think full body shaking and jerking, foaming at the mouth, etc.  There are HUNDREDS of different types of seizures, and we see all of them! I have had the incredible opportunity to watch medication, diet and surgery vastly improve the health of some of our kiddos that have fought Epilepsy from a very young age.  Unfortunately, not all of our kids are that lucky.  Due to their seizures some kids are unable to meet any of their developmental milestones, are unable to participate in any daily activities, and even unable to interact with their families and loved ones.  This is near and dear to my heart, as we see so many incredible families deal with these health constraints on a daily basis! 

Working in a children's hospital makes it abundantly clear how lucky each parent is with a healthy child.  This year I am going to be participating in the Dallas Epilepsy Walk.  I would love any financial donation anyone is able to provide for this cause, to continue the research to find more options to improve the quality of life for these incredible children and families.  

This is a video I found that just sheds a TINY light on what our families and kids go through.  If you are not able to make a donation, we totally understand that, but I wish you would take the time to watch the video and increase your awareness on this dreadful disease.  

This is the link to my FUNDRAISING PAGE .  Please contact me with any questions! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We LoVe to hear from you!